Saturday, August 31, 2013

DIY Arduino Duemilanove

Or the DIYmilanove


lol.

Back in the day when I was starting to learn about Arduino, I decided that the best way to learn how it works was to build it myself.

I wanted to make an Arduino that was exactly like the real one. That means:

  • Same footprint
  • I can fit shields onto it
  • I can program it from the USB port
  • There is serial communication
  • I have an ICSP if I need it
  • There is an LED on pin 13
  • a reset button
Basically, it must function like a real arduino.

It took a week to complete this board. A lot of research went into it.
In order to make a board like this, you must look at the original schematic, look at your own needs, look at the parts you have, and try to build something similar to the real thing with the parts you are limited to.


Please read through it if you plan to make your own Arduino. For example, I did not know that the ATmega 328 was not the same as the ATmega328P.

So, here are some pictures of the process:

I used an Arduino shield to make sure I was putting the headers in the right place


Adding some wires and buttons... some capacitors


Board is almost complete. Needs to install a 3.3v regulator, the chip, and the Serial converter.


Board finished


sloppy underside


the chip!


Yea... I gave up in soldering an FTDI chip, so I just bought one.


FTDI converter


More pictures


the belly.


In the end, all you need is the schematic of the Arduino. Then, you gotta place the parts in the right places. After that, just solder wires until the whole thing is wired up and it is ready to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment