Thursday, April 24, 2014

DIY Computer Monitor

Ever since finishing that robot I have not been getting many new ideas that excite me.
I am still in the still waters of creativity, so, no new projects yet.

The only thing that I have worked on since that time was adding a second monitor to my desk. It was a one day project; very easy.

I followed this Instructable mostly, and some other sources.


First I took the screen off of a broken laptop. 
Order the control board after talking with the eBay seller about specification.
Then wait a couple weeks for the board to arrive.


Then I plugged everything in and taped things together temporarily. I rested the screen on the corner of my desk like so.


I used the dead laptop's 12VDC adapter to power the screen.


After finding some time to work on it, I decided to replace my paper calender with the second monitor!


The control board only costs $35.
It has HDMI VGA DVI and some other audio plug stuff.


Most HDMI monitors cost $100 or more.


I have a sheet of plexi-glass holding everything together. The plexi-glass is secured to some scrap pinewood, which is epoxied to the back of the screen.


The epoxy is actually doing a really good job holding the wood to the plastic on the monitor


I also glued the inverter and control board to the back of the screen.


Not pictured here, but there is a stand I made that can hold screen. Since the screen is practically just a rectangle, I found a way to mount it onto a sort of stand if I ever wanted it off of the wall.

Overall this was a fun and easy project; I recommend it to anyone who has a dead laptop and needs an HDMI monitor for a low price. It's been a couple months since I built it, and it's been pretty consistent in displaying the right things.

Since installing the monitor I feel that my productivity has increased: it reduces the need to alt+tab to references, and also allows greater organization.

Highly recommends*

2 comments:

  1. Teton titanium tipster - TITaniumArts
    Teton titanium exhaust tips titanium tipster. Teton infiniti pro rainbow titanium flat iron titanium titanium pot tipster. Teton titanium tipster. Teton titanium tipster. Teton titanium columbia titanium jacket tipster. Teton titanium tipster. Teton teton tipster. Teton titanium titanium white acrylic paint tipster. Teton titanium tipster.

    ReplyDelete